This “How To” shows you how to set up an email address in Microsoft Outlook Express.
For “How To’s” on setting up your Email in Microsoft Outlook 2003 or Microsoft Outlook 2007, please see our other “How To” Guides.
To Set Up Your E-mail in Microsoft Outlook Express
1. In Outlook Express, from the Tools menu, select Accounts.
2. A box will appear. Click Add and select Mail.
3. In Display name, enter your name as you would like it to appear on your emails and click Next.
4. In E-mail address, enter your full email address and then click Next.
5. On the E-mail Server Names window, enter your information as follows:
My incoming Mail Server is
Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server
“mail.your-domain.com.au” (where ‘your-domain.com.au is replaced with your actual Domain Name).
Outgoing mail (SMTP) server
“your-outgoing-mail-server” (where ‘your-outgoing-mail-server is replaced with your specific Internet Provider’s Outgoing Mail Server (eg. “mail.bigpond.com” if Telstra Bigpond is your ISP, “mail.optusnet.com.au” for Optus, “mail.tpg.com.au” for TPG, etc).
6. Click on Next.
7. In Account name, enter your full Email address, then enter the password that was chosen when the email address was setup.
Removing message copies from the Mail Server
1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts
2. Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
3. Select your account, and then click Change.
4. Click the More Settings button.
5. Click the Advanced tab, and under the Delivery section, select the Leave a copy of messages on the server check box.
6. Select the Remove from server after and type in a value of however many days you’s like. The example shows 7 days. This will tell the Mail Server to download all Email messages to your computer but only leave a copy of the messages on the server for a certain number of days. This allows people who want to read their messages at work but also download them for permanent storage on their home computer. We recommend that you choose the smallest number of days that suits your needs. The longer you leave messages on your Mail Server, the greater the risk of filling-up your Mail Server and exceeding your mailbox size quota.
7. Click OK, and then click Finish.